Fabric Dyeing With Flowers

Wednesday 4 September 2013


It's been a while since I experimented with natural dyeing techniques. After playing around last year I put it down to something I wanted to do but didn't have time to learn about. I saw Nancy's beautiful post about using flowers to dye fabric months back and I finally decided to give it a go. If you want to try it at home this is a great step by step guide.


I'm really pleased with the results. It looks all romantic, doesn't it? I'm not sure if the colour would hold up against washing so it might not be the best for clothing. I'm learning more and more about natural dyes and printing my own fabric and am so excited to be using some of it in the collection I'm working on.

4 comments

  1. wow! they look great! I want to try this, too! It'll look great for summer clothes like dresses or skirts I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the results are so sweet and dainty! I was just picturing you doing the 'boil a bunch of dyestuff and dunk fabric in' method, so this roll-'em-up tie-dye process fascinates me.

    A handcrafts book I had from the 1920's mentioned that flower-based dyes fade quite quickly in the light and ought to be re-applied each spring--perhaps another spring cleaning task our great-grannies tackled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely idea! Looks great! x

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© i knowles nothing. Design by FCD.